Looking for a new IT Computer Consultant for your Small Business? As a small-business owner or office manager, you may typically wear many hats such as accounting, sales, marketing and the onsite IT person. Sure, you may know some computer basics, but for tasks like virus removal, network security, backup, email and other issues you’re better off hiring someone who handles Small Business IT consulting needs, instead of doing it yourself. This article will help ensure you hire an IT professional correctly, in the least amount of time so you can focus on running your business.
How do I select a new IT Company?
Where do I start?
When selecting a new IT Computer Consultant, follow these simple and important guidelines:
1. Make a list of all your business’s IT needs and expectations.
- I need occasional computer troubleshooting with same or next day response.
- I would like an IT company to manage all of the following automatically for me using Managed IT Services.
- Clean Infected computers
- Perform occasional system checkups to find and then fix problems
- Take care of ongoing server & computer maintenance, updates, patches etc.
- Monitor my server backups.
- Manage my network security and antivirus problems
- Speed up slow computers
- Fix email problems
- Troubleshoot my internet connection if it goes down.
- Give me advice on when it’s time to replace equipment or upgrade.
- Keep me updated on new IT changes to keep my business competitive.
2. Make a list of IT Computer Consultant to interview.
Make your list in one of the following two ways.
- Do an Internet search in google.com or other search engine. Search for Small Business IT Support Companies in the NJ Shore Area or New York City Area. Then look at their google ratings, reviews and feedback left by customers. They should consistently get close to a 5 Star rating. This should ensure you find a reputable and reliable company.
- Ask other business owners you know (friends or family) for an IT consultant referral. The referral should come from a business that is close to the same size as yours. For example, if you have 1 – 50 employees/computers, you will want a different IT company than if you have 100’s or 1000’s of employees. The IT firm must be a good fit for you.
3. Call or email some IT Companies
Narrow down your list based on the following;
- Does someone answer the phone when you call during business hours and call you back or email you within a reasonable time?
- Do they service businesses similar to your size?
- Can they assist you with your needs and expectations identified on your list above?
- Are they reasonably close to your office location?
After doing some website research, making some calls and sending emails, narrow down your choices to a few potential candidates that you feel are a good fit for you.
Next, arrange a meeting.
4. Interview IT Companies
During the meeting these are some things to listen for and questions to ask.
- Did they ask you the proper questions in order to determine what your IT problems are?
- Do you believe they can handle and fix your IT problems?
- How many years have they been around?
- Do you strongly believe that they have the experience knowledge to support you?
- Do they have a reasonable hourly rates or flat fee contracts?
- Can they provide references or have a proven track record?
Make your decision based on the answers to the questions above as well as reference below and Google reviews / feedback above.
5. Call References and dig a bit deeper about the owners of the IT Company
Ask them to explain their experience with the company and to give you some feedback on the following areas below. The consultant must be;
a. A person of the highest character – Willing to put the best interest of the client ahead of their own and must care deeply about his or her clients.
b. Superior problem solvers – With outstanding analytical skills to understand the challenges you face and provide solutions.
c. A professional with strong communication skills, speaks articulately, with the ability to listen & also puts it in writing.
d. Excellent interpersonal skills
- The right consultant can create tremendous value for you and your business.
- Can they create a trust-based relationship?
- Will you be comfortable revealing the details of your business?
- Chose a consultant with whom you can develop this kind of professional relationship.
If you have any questions on Computer Consulting or IT Support please call our office at (732) 702-5400. Pro-Tech can come to your business or home and assist you with all IT services. Please see our website homepage for other services we offer.